Gmail – www.gmail.com is a free webmail service offered by Google and was launched on the 1st of April, 2004. Gmail is available in 72 languages and is one of the most reliable webmail services as of today. With a huge user number of about 900 million users, www.gmail.com invites you to enjoy all of her services today.
www.gmail.com can be used for a wide variety of services such as sending official mails, sending emails and attachments to friends and family, signing up for various social accounts such as Facebook, Twitter, Google Hangouts, Google+, Google Drive, Google Maps, Google Play Store and a whole lot more.
It is absolutely free and hassle free to create a gmail account. With a good internet connection, it should take less than five minutes to completely set up your new www.gmail.com account.
A dormant www.gmail.com account would be deactivated after a period of 9 months and can be reactivated whenever a user so wishes to.
Just in-case you have other webmail services you have signed up with and you are wondering why you still need to sign up for a gmail account, I’ll briefly talk about the features of www.gmail.com, and perhaps you’ll be convinced.
FEATURES OF GMAIL – www.gmail.com
STORAGE: At first launch, gmail offered 1 GB of storage, this they continually upgraded. As of today, www.gmail.com allows up to 15GB of free storage and paid plans of up to 30 TB. If you have large files you never want to lose, you might just be doing yourself a favour by signing up for a www.gmail.com account. You can enjoy free storage up to 15GB at no cost.
TABBED INBOX: Gmail inbox has a feature that automatically categorizes a user’s mail. The five tabs available include: Primary, Social, Promotions, Updates and Forums. This allows for easy sorting of mails and this feature is also available on the mobile version of www.gmail.com.
SPAM FILTER: Gmail has a unique method of filtering spam mails, such that once a mail is marked as spam by any user, the system identifies similar future messages for all www.gmail.com users and treats them as spam. A user is also allowed the freedom to deal with messages marked as spam in several ways of their choice.
GMAIL MOBILE: This is a free service developed with the aim to provide access to gmail from mobile devices. Gmail mobile is available in more than 40 languages and still offers many of the normal www.gmail.com features.
SOCIAL NETWORK INTEGRATION: www.gmail.com allows users to send email messages to other people even if they don’t have their email addresses, so long as they have Google+ accounts.
GMAIL SEARCH: www.gmail.com has a search bar that allows users search for emails. The search bar can also search for contacts, files stored on Google Drive, events from Google calendar and even make web searches. The search bar has auto-complete functionality with predictions from a user’s email.
MONEY TRANSFER AND PAYMENT OPTION: Gmail has a feature that allows users to send money as email attachments and this is made possible via Google Wallet. One can quickly and securely send money to family and friends directly from www.gmail.com.
SECURITY: As part of the security measures put in place by www.gmail.com, messages marked as spam are deleted automatically after a period of 30 days. This feature can be disabled manually by users that so wish to.
Another security measure put in place by gmail to protect its users from viruses is the automatic scan of all incoming and outgoing mail attachments. If for any reason a virus is found on an incoming mail attachment, www.gmail.com automatically removes the virus and serves its user a virus-free attachment. Gmail also would prevent a mail attachment from being sent out if a virus is found in the attachment.
www.gmail.com also notifies users whenever there is a state-sponsored attack on their email or computers. Users in such a case would get a message that reads “Warning: We believe state-sponsored attackers may be trying to compromise your account or computer”
2-STEP VERIFICATION: www.gmail.com supports 2-step verification for its users, this allows users to verify their identity using a second method after entering their username and password. Usually a 6-digit code is sent to their mobile phones via text or via voice call.
With this much said about the features of www.gmail.com, I’ll just go ahead and outline the steps through which you can easily sign up for a free www.gmail.com account.
HOW TO SIGN UP FOR A GMAIL ACCOUNT – www.gmail.com
STEP 1: To sign up for a www.gmail.com account, you must first visit the official gmail website. You can do that by Clicking Here or simply enter www.gmail.com in your browser URL.
STEP 2: Once you have successfully visited the official www.gmail.com page, you’ll be presented with a log in page. For new users, just go ahead and locate the Create Account option as illustrated in the image above.
STEP 3: Next, you’ll be presented with a sign up for that contains such information as your Name (First name and Last name), username, password, birthday, gender, phone number and some other personal information. Do well to fill this form accordingly.
STEP 4: In filling the form, it is very important to pay keen attention to the following areas. Choose your username – whatever you fill in here would be your gmail address which cannot be edited once created. It is important to keep it easy and relative. If I wanted to create a www.gmail.com account for my blog, I’ll use something like ‘naijatechno’ as my username, that way my gmail address would be firstname.lastname@example.org
STEP 5: Create a Password – in creating a password, it is very important that you use something that can be easily remembered by you and hard to guess by everyone else. To create a very strong www.gmail.com password, it is important to combine uppercase and lower case letters as well as numbers and symbols. For example, if I create a password – h1sT0rY@3Ar – it would be a very strong password that cannot be guessed by anyone else.
Remember to confirm you password also after creating it.
STEP 6: Next you have to fill in your birthday. Information such as your month of birth, date of birth and year or birth would be required to sign up for your www.gmail.com account. Make sure you fill them appropriately.
STEP 7: After filling in your birthday information, you’ll be asked to select your gender, either Male or Female.
STEP 8: Another area that requires keen attention is the Mobile Phone column. Make sure the number you entered is correct, as a confirmation text/call will be put across to the mobile number you provided, without which you won’t be able to complete the sign up process for your www.gmail.com account.
*You can ignore the column that says Your current email address as it is not compulsory to fill it. But if you have an alternate email address then you should fill it in the space provided.
STEP 9: Prove you’re not a robot. This is very easy to do. All that is required of you is to enter the text code that would be shown in a picture on your screen. If the text is not clear enough, you can either request for another image or an audio text code. With this www.gmail.com is able to confirm that you’re not a robot.
STEP 10: Select your location. If for any reason your browser does not automatically detect your country location, use the drop down menu to select your location.
STEP 11: Verify your account. Just as mentioned earlier in Step 8, you’ll be asked to verify your account before you can start using it. The Phone number you provided earlier would be displayed on the screen (can be edited) and you’ll have options to choose whether you want to receive the verification codes via text message (SMS) or via voice call.
Select your preferred verification method for your www.gmail.com account and click Continue. Depending on the method you selected, you’ll either receive a text message or a voice call. Enter the code given in the space provided and continue.
STEP 12: You’re in. You just successfully created your www.gmail.com account. You’ll receive messages from the gmail team welcoming you to have a wonderful experience with gmail.
Another great reason to sign up for a www.gmail.com account is the fact that you can use this one account for a wide range of Google services that includes: Google+, Google Drive, Google Maps, YouTube, Google Photos, Google Play and chrome. With just one gmail account, you can enjoy all of these services.
HOW TO SIGN IN TO YOUR GMAIL ACCOUNT – www.gmail.com
Briefly, I’ll be explaining how you can sign in to your www.gmail.com account. This is for those that have already created an account previously with gmail.
Without any further time wasting, the stpes will be highlighted below.
- Visit the official gmail website by Clicking Here or typing gmail.com in your browser url.
- On the homepage, you’ll see a space where you will be asked to enter your email. Enter your www.gmail.com address in the space provided and click next.
- You’ll be prompted to enter your gmail password. If for any reason you forgot your password, I’ll tell you how you can recover your password.
- Once you have provided the correct email address and password for your gmail account, you’ll be signed into your www.gmail.com account and you can enjoy all the services provided by gmail.
HOW TO RECOVER LOST GMAIL USERNAME OR PASSWORD – www.gmail.com
It is not a new issue that some people are not good with remembering their usernames and passwords. Sometimes even when we try so hard not to lose this information, we still end up mixing it up and getting it all wrong. It is for this that www.gmail.com provided a medium through which lost usernames or passwords can be recovered.
Briefly I’ll be taking you through the steps on how to recover a lost www.gmail.com username or password.
For Lost Password
- Visit the official gmail website at gmail.com or Click Here
- From the home page, click one ‘Need Help?’ or you can Click Here
- Now you’ll be presented with a Having trouble signing in? page
- Select the option for ‘I don’t know my password’
- You’ll be asked to provide your email address. Enter your www.gmail.com address in the space provided and click ‘Continue’.
- Next you’ll be provided with an image and asked to type the characters you see in a box provided.
- Once you have entered the characters correctly, click ‘Continue’.
- Next you’ll be prompted to enter the last password you can remember. If you can remember any of you old passwords, enter it in the space provided and click ‘continue’, and if you cannot remember any just go ahead and click ‘I don’t know’
- You’ll be asked to select a method through which you’ll receive a verification code from www.gmail.com. You can either choose to receive the verification code via text message (SMS) or vial an automated phone call to the number which you provided when you set up your account.
- Once you receive the code, either via phone call or via text, enter it in the space provided and continue.
- Next you’ll be prompted to choose a new password for your www.gmail.com account. It is important to always use passwords that you can always remember and cannot be guessed by any other person.
For Lost Username
- Visit the official gmail website at www.gmail.com or Click Here
- From the home page, click one ‘Need Help?’ or you can Click Here
- Now you’ll be presented with a Having trouble signing in? page
- Select the option for ‘I don’t know my username’ and click continue
- Next you’ll be prompted to select a recovery method. Either via your recovery email address (if you added one when you were signing up) or via your phone number (this might be a better method).
- If you selected the ‘Enter your recovery email address’ option, you’ll have to enter your recovery email address in the space provided, enter your First name and your Last name, and confirm that you’re not a robot by selecting the box and then you can click on ‘submit’.
- An email would be sent to your recovery email address containing your www.gmail.com address.
- If you selected the ‘Enter your recovery phone number’ option, you’ll have to enter the phone number you provided while you were creating your account and select whether you’ll prefer to receive verification code via text message (SMS) or via automated phone call.
- Enter your first name and your last name and confirm that you’re not a robot and then click ‘Submit’.
- You’ll receive a 6-digit confirmation code; enter it in the space provided.
- You’ll be shown a list of www.gmail.com accounts with which your phone number is associated.
It is important to memorize your email address and password so that you do not have to go through this process every time you want to log into your www.gmail.com account.
It is also very important to sign out of your www.gmail.com account when you are done reading or sending mails especially when you are using a public computer so that other people would not have access to your personal information. But if you are using your own personal computer/laptop, then you can decide not to sign out so long as you can restrict the usage of the computer.
Gmail which is one of the most popular webmail services is one that is very important for everyone to have an account. Without a www.gmail.com account, you may not enjoy the full functionalities of your Android phone as you need a gmail account to sign into your Google play store in order to download apps, you need a www.gmail.com account to create an account on YouTube, if you must use Google+, you’ll need a gmail account, if you must enjoy all the functionalities of Google maps and Google photos, you’ll need a gmail account, if you must enjoy the data storage memory of up to 15GB for free as offered by Google Drive, then you must have a www.gmail.com account. The benefits of owning a gmail account are so enormous, even apart from official reasons there are still so many reasons why everyone should have a gmail account.
I hope you found this tutorial useful? In-case you’re not clear on anything that was mentioned in this tutorial, please drop a comment in the comment box and we’ll be glad to explain in details to you.
Are you still having issues signing up for a www.gmail.com account? Are you having issues logging into your already created gmail account? Are you having difficulties recovering your lost www.gmail.com account username or password? Do well to drop a comment in the comment box and we’ll be glad to assist you as soon as possible.
- www.yahoomail.com: How To Create A YahooMail Account
- My Phone and I: 10 Reasons Why I Own A Phone
- BlackBerry Priv Review: Price, Design & Specs